Apply for Octopus Card for Students

The Octopus Card is a convenient, electronic stored-value card that can be used on most forms of public transport, convenience stores, and fast food restaurants. Card values can be 'topped-up' at subway stations, convenience stores, supermarkets, and many other places. On campus, add-value service is available at the cashiers in the supermarket and most of the eateries.

Full time students aged 12 to 25 are eligible for MTR concession fares of up to 50% off normal fares by applying for an "Octopus Card with Student Status".

The general application is outlined below. For details, you should review the below website:

  1. Submit the completed form with the endorsement of HKUST to the MTR Customer Service Center (following instructions on the form) in person. An application fee is required.
  2. Collect your Personalized Octopus Card in person, following the dates and instuctions outlined on the website.

Click here for details from the Dean of Students' Office webpage

Open a Bank Account

For Degree-seeking Students, it may be useful to open a bank account to handle the financial matters. There are three banks on campus. To open a bank account, you need to submit an application in person. Please do note that it may sometimes take over 3 months for the process because of the monetary policy. If you will be under 18 years of age at the time of opening the bank account, banking rules in Hong Kong require that you have one of your parents with you to sign the related documents.

In general, the following documents are required for opening a bank account:

  • Passport/Travel document and the landing slip
  • HKUST Student Identity Card
  • Proof of Hong Kong Residential Address (such as vonfirmation letter issued by the on-campus student hall, showing the hall address)
  • Permanent Address Proof

Please refer below websites of respective banks for more information:

  • Hang Seng Bank: Click here
  • Bank of East Asia: Click here
  • Bank of China: Click here
Apply for Hong Kong Identity Card

If you will be staying in Hong Kong for more than 180 days, you are required by law to apply for a Hong Kong Identity Card (HKID) within 30 days upon arrival. If you are 18 or above, you should apply for an adult HKID. If you are under 18, you should first apply for a Juvenile HKID and convert to the adult HKID upon turning 18. Hong Kong law requires that you carry your HKID with you at all times.

Hong Kong Immigration Department only accepts application forms in electronic means. Please make an appointment and pre-fill the form on Hong Kong Immigration Department website.

You must then visit the Registration of Persons Office at the Hong Kong Immigration Department in person. The HKID for new arrivals are issued free of charge. Bring your passport, identity documents, and the HKUST admission letter to support your application.

You can also call their 24-hour appointment booking hotline: (852) 2598 0888

Register with your Consulate

You are advised to contact the consulate or embassy of your home country in Hong Kong, and enquire about possible citizen registration services. Some consulates and embassies maintain mailing lists or social media accounts for keeping their citizens updated on matters that concern them.

Click here to check the contact information of your consulate or embassy.