Arrival dates

While dates may change from year-to-year, you may tentatively plan to arrive according to the below schedule.  The University will inform you of the exact date closer to the start of the term.  

What to bring

  • Please ensure your passport or travel document is valid for a minimum of six months. Your landing slip/student visa stamp must be issued by the Hong Kong SAR Government.
  • Admission letter issued by HKUST.
  • Email or letter issued by HKUST confirming your student hall place, so that you know which hall to check in to.
  • Travel/health insurance policy documents.
  • Proof of residential address in your home country (such as letters issued by banks, utility companies, the government, etc.)
  • It is always a good idea to have your academic records with you, in case you need it for course selection, claiming credits, etc.
  • Other identity documents
  • Passport-sized photographs suitable for application for hall resident cards, travel visas, etc. should be available upon request.
  • Photocopies of your passport, identity documents, credit cards, for back-up needs.
Additional documents for Degree-seeking Students
  • Original copies of your high school graduation certificate and transcripts, public exam transcripts, etc
  • Proof of tuition fee payment (for registration)
Additional documents for Exchange Students
  • Your university transcripts
  • Student identity card
  • It is advisable to bring sufficient funds to last you at least through the first term. Living expenses will vary depending on your accommodation and lifestyle choices. We recommend that you budget HK$30,000-40,000 (USD3,800-5,200) for one term.
  • For degree-seeking students who have tuition payable, it is advisable to settle the first tuition payment before arriving in Hong Kong. This way, you do not have to open a bank account immediately on arrival to make the tuition payment. You will then already have proof of tuition payment, so that you can proceed to registration.  
  • Ideally, you should bring a combination of cash, travelers' checks, and credit cards. It is not a good idea to bring large amounts of cash.
The Hong Kong climate is sub-tropical with distinct seasons:
  • Spring (March to May) 17°C–24°C
  • Summer (June to August) 26°C–31°C (can rise above 31°C)
  • Autumn (September to November) 21°C–27°C
  • Winter (December to February) 12°C–20°C (can drop below 10°C)

It would be good to bring a good variety of clothing. Layering is recommended. University buildings and most buildings around Hong Kong are air-conditioned. However, note that although the temperature can drop to below 10°C in the winter, buildings do NOT have heating, especially in the Spring Term. So, it is a good idea to bring warm clothing if you will be here in the winter.

Casual dress is appropriate for most university activities, while there will be occasions that call for formal dress. The below is recommended:
Suitable all-year round: Suitable for winter:
  • Jeans/Pants
  • T-shirts
  • Runners
  • Sandals
  • Dark-colored suit
  • Dress shirt, tie and dress shoes (for men)
  • Blouse and dress shoes/pumps (for women)
  • Sweatshirts/sweaters
  • Scarf/Tunic
  • Warm jacket
  • Wind- and water-proof jacket (especially if you plan to travel or participate in outdoor activities)
Other Items
  • Bedding is not provided in student halls, as it is a personal item, so most students prefer something of their own. You can bring your own or purchase some when you arrive in Hong Kong.
  • Laptop computers are available with Wifi Connection and LAN Cable. There are computing facilities throughout the campus, but if you wish to use a computer in your student hall, you should bring a laptop.
  • The voltage in Hong Kong is 220V/50Hz AC. The plugs are 3-pin square and you can purchase adaptors in Hong Kong.
  • If you are taking any medications, it is a good idea to bring enough to last at least the first month. That would give you enough time to source for it after you settle in Hong Kong. Before you leave home, it is advisable that you check with your medical professional at home to ascertain whether your medication is available in Hong Kong.
  • Hygiene items, such as toothpaste, toothbrush, bath towels, etc.
  • An umbrella.
  • Bring any personal items that would make you feel at home: pictures of families and friends, music, etc.
Health & Dental Check-up

We recommend that you have a thorough health and dental check-up before you leave home. This would give you the peace of mind that you are embarking with no major health or dental concerns. It also helps to avoid the hassle and possible high costs involved with seeking treatment while abroad. We also advise that, before you leave home, you check with your medical practitioner for any medical/health advice for the regions you are travelling to, including any suggested immunizations.

There is no vaccination requirement for students coming into Hong Kong. For your reference, Hong Kong residents participate in an immunization program that is recommended by the Hong Kong Department of Health. Therefore, they are well-protected against most preventable diseases that are common in the region. If you have been living outside of Hong Kong, you might have received a different set of immunizations.  We encourage you to review your immunization record, and consult your medical doctor should you have any concerns.  You may click here for information on the Immunization Program for Hong Kong residents, and ask your medical doctor to review it with you.

Purchase Medical / Travel Insurance

Insurance (Exchange, Visiting, Short-term Program Students)
You are required to purchase a travel insurance policy through HKUST that covers the duration of your study.  The policy provides for the coverage listed below.  For details about the policy, please click here.

1. Medical and hospitalization for illnesses and accidents;
2. Personal liability; and
3. Medical evacuation and repatriation

Insurance (Degree-seeking Students)
For degree-seeking students, because you will be at HKUST for the full degree, you will subscribe to the University's Compulsory Medical Insurance Scheme, when you arrive. This will provide the medical insurance coverage for the duration of your studies at HKUST.

For your trip from your home country to Hong Kong, and for all other trips you will be making later on, it is strongly recommended that you purchase travel insurance in addition to any health/medical insurance that you may have.

Pre-existing medical conditions
Please note that the HKUST travel insurance plan, and many others, does not cover pre-existing conditions. These may include medical or physical conditions that you have before you enroll in the plan. If you require additional coverage for a pre-existing condition, it is advisable that you check whether your pre-existing condition will be covered by that policy.